Should You Buy New Blinds For Your Home? Here Are Some Tips
Blinds are functional, versatile, durable, and aesthetically pleasing. It’s no wonder why blinds are commonly seen in homes and offices. If you have been using curtains for quite some time, it’s high time to upgrade and buy new blinds for your home.
If you think your old and worn-out blinds need to be replaced, then it is certainly a good idea to do so. Window blinds are not just for controlling the light that goes inside your home. Aside from providing privacy, the right type of blinds can liven up and improve the ambiance of your space. These, along with other reasons below, is why you should buy new blinds for your home.
Window Blinds Should Match Your Doors
A good rule in home decorating is to make sure that the design and shape of your windows and doors complement each other. This includes the type of blinds that should go with them too. Whether you have traditional or modern doors such as French doors and bifold doors, putting up matching blinds can make your home look better.
Here are some examples of different types of doors that you can match with new blinds:
- Bifold Doors: Bifold doors are popular nowadays and this type of door perfectly matches with modern window blinds.
- Sliding Doors: Vertical blinds are more suitable for sliding doors. Sliding panels or panel track blinds are also perfect for patio sliding doors.
- French Doors: Roller blinds go great with French doors. You may cover your French doors with two blinds to make them easier to operate. Also, you can choose roller blinds without chains or cords for a better look.
- Front And Back Doors: Pleated shades and roller shades are the best window treatment for your front and back doors. If you prefer barely noticeable blinds, choose roller blinds because they are the most minimalist option. Roller blinds have a single fabric piece that lies against the door when it is rolled down.
Each Window Needs A Different Type Of Blind
Most homes have more than just one window style. Therefore, you should choose the right type of blinds for every type of window. You have to make sure that the frames fit and stylishly match together. So, what are the best blinds recommended for different kinds of window frames? Here are some examples of window types and the kind of blinds that go best with them:
- Casement Windows: Casement windows offer a simple, lightweight, and stylish dressing solution. You can combine durability and luxury by installing new wooden blinds in your casement windows. Roman blinds are best recommended to go with casement windows because their shape and length go well together.
- Slider Windows: These windows open horizontally, making them easy to cover and operate. Wood blinds are perfect for slider windows that are facing the front of your house because they look sharp and appealing when viewed from the outdoors.
- Bay Windows: This type of window features three window panels, and can make a room look grander and larger. Because of its mounting depth, Roman blinds are highly recommended for bay windows.
Tips For Buying New Window Blinds For Your Home
Shopping for new blinds can be overwhelming because of the many choices you can select from. But if you know what to look for, then it is quick and easy to shop for the right kind of blinds. To help you get your money’s worth, here are a few helpful buying tips for you:
1. Think About Function And Practicality
It is important to be practical when shopping for new blinds. You have to determine which rooms in your house need the most privacy, which rooms direly need to be shaded during the hottest hours of the day, and which rooms need more warmth.
For example, you may choose black-coated blinds for the children’s bedroom to ensure privacy. On the other hand, thermal blinds are recommended for north-facing chilly rooms. If a room needs more shade, select slatted blinds that can be adjusted to block the sun.
2. Take Proper Measurements
It would really be a huge waste of money and time if you went ahead and bought blinds, only to find out that they don’t truly fit your windows. So, determine the proper fit by taking measurements of your windows first.
You may choose ready-made blinds in set sizes, but you still need to measure your windows to know what size you have to get. Made-to-measure blinds are also available if your window size does not follow a standard.
Take precise measurements using metal tape and follow the manufacturer’s measuring guide or any window measuring guide. You may also seek the services of a window treatment company to measure and fit blinds for you.
3. Check Out Which Operating Mechanism Works Best For You
Blinds can be remotely controlled by a wall switch or operated manually using cords. There are also advanced blinds that can be controlled remotely when you install an app on your smartphone or tablet. You can also hook the automated operation mechanism of your blinds to your house’s automation system. The sensors open and close them depending on daylight levels or your preferred settings.
4. Decide Which Kind Of Blinds You Need
As discussed earlier, each window type can go well with specific kinds of blinds. With that said, you must know what kind of windows you have at home before you go shopping for new blinds. The most common window blinds you can find on the market today are as follows:
- Roller Blinds: These blinds are recommended for bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms. They are versatile, stylish, and budget-friendly. Roller blinds are made of special fabrics, with moisture-resistant and blackout options.
- Roman Blinds: This is a good choice for bedrooms and living rooms. Roman blinds provide a luxurious finish in limited window spaces to attain a streamlined look.
- Vertical Blinds: This consists of individual fabric louvres with weights or chains. You can tilt the louvres to maintain privacy and control light. You may also block the sun by positioning the louvres flat.
- Venetian Blinds: These have horizontal metal slats that can be tilted to let light gently filter through or be laid flat against the window.
- Wooden Or Faux Blinds: These have horizontal slats, usually operated by a cord. Wooden blinds are eco-friendly because they are sustainably sourced. They are available in neutral painted shades and natural wood stains. There are also faux-wood blinds available in the market today. These aren’t made from real wood, but they feel and look like one.
Window blinds are very useful for any home. If you need to provide shade, privacy, or control the light that enters a room, you need to shop for the right blinds that can match your windows and doors too.
Consider the practicality, durability, operation mechanism, and proper fit of the blind before buying a new one. By doing so, you’ll be able to make your home more beautiful, comfortable, and functional—while also getting your money’s worth!