Posted on 18th October 2022

Basic Electricity Knowledge That Can Help You Prevent Causing a Fire at Home

The electrical system in your house has many parts, as you already know, and each part must work properly for the whole system to function correctly. This includes appliances, wiring, outlets, switches, and even light bulbs.

If you don’t know how to handle them properly, they can cause hazards such as a fire that can damage your property and can be life-threatening. But some basic electrical knowledge can help you prevent fires at home. So let us introduce you to the basic facts that you must know.

Know the Difference Between AC and DC Power

You’ve probably heard of AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current), but what exactly is the difference between them?

The electrical power that is supplied by wall outlets is called AC power. It has two distinct phases: positive and negative. The positive phase starts at zero volts and increases until it reaches its peak voltage. Then the negative phase begins, decreasing until it reaches zero volts. This alternating pattern continues throughout the cycle.

Energy from batteries or generators is known as DC power. It flows continuously without interruption. There is no positive or negative phase.

When using appliances such as lamps, fans, computers, etc., you should always plug them into an outlet that provides AC power. If you don’t, they won’t function properly.

On the other hand, when working with electronic gadgets, you should connect them to a battery charger that provides DC power.

Understand How Circuits Work

Understanding how circuits work will help you avoid electrical shocks when using appliances such as hair dryers, electric blankets, and other household items.

Electrical current flows through a wire or cable to deliver power to devices. As the voltage applied to the wire changes, so does the amount of current flowing through it.

Electricity flows through a circuit in the form of electrons passing along a path called a conductor. When a conductor is connected to another conductor, the electrons move from one conductor to the other. The electricity flow also depends on what size wire you use to connect the circuit to the conductor.

This movement of electrons creates a potential difference across the conductors. If the potential difference is large enough, then the electrons will start to flow from one conductor to the next.

Recognize the Signs of Electrical Shock

Electrical shocks happen every day. They can cause serious injuries or even death. How can you recognize them?

Electricity is everywhere. From household appliances to computers, from smartphones to cars, electricity powers our lives. Yet, despite its omnipresence, electricity can also kill us. Electrical shocks are responsible for thousands of deaths each year worldwide.

Electrical shocks can occur at home, at work, or anywhere else. And they can come from any source, such as power lines, electric motors, or electronic devices. Fortunately, these accidents can be prevented.

Here are some ways to identify electrical shocks.

A burning sensationTingling or numbnessMuscle spasmsSeizuresBlue skin colorationDifficulty breathingLoss of consciousnessUnconsciousnessCardiac arrest

Avoid Using Extension Cords

Extension cords are convenient, but they also pose a serious threat to our health. They are dangerous because they carry high-voltage electricity.

When you plug anything into them, you are exposing yourself to the risks associated with electricity.

Plugging things into extension cords is a common practice, but you should always do it with extra caution. They can cause fires when used improperly.

To prevent these problems, you should always use surge protection. This device protects your home from electrical surges caused by lightning strikes, faulty wiring, and other sources.

Be Careful With Appliances

Electrical fires can be fatal as we are more prone to electrical devices. They can start from faulty wiring or damaged appliances. It is estimated that almost half of fire incidents occur due to old appliances that aren’t maintained properly.

While you should always follow safety precautions when using electrical appliances, you should also be aware of the dangers associated with electrical appliances. You should contact a professional if you see any signs of malfunction.

Conclusion

Every aspect of our lives depends on electricity. We can’t deny the benefits it provides. But when interacting with it, you should always be cautious in handling it properly.

Having a basic knowledge of electricity not only will save you from danger but also from causing a fire at home. Hopefully, this article has educated you at least a little about how to safely handle the electrical system in your house.