104 BUILD / June 2017 , The 2002 rehabilitation project included conversion of the medical office building to 67 residential apartments on floors 2-7 with retail space on the first floor. The intent was to return the exterior to its original appearance by removing the aluminium cladding, reinstating the panelled bays and painting the brick a natural color of the building material. The original building entries were uncovered and repairs were performed to reinstate the original intent of the entry designs as historically documented. Services provided: architect of record, preservation consultant for federal & state historic tax credits. The firm’s commercial portfolio includes: Akron Post Office & Federal Building - 1927- 1929 | Akron, Ohio - James A. Wetmore, Original Architect The neo-classical Akron Post Office and Federal Building abandoned function as a postal facility in 1983 and was converted for offices and light manufacturing by a local sign company. The building had suffered moderate neglect – carbon covered the masonry, windows were deteriorating, the roof and skylights were beginning to fail, and the underpinning of the monumental stairs had already failed. The 67,000-sq. ft. interior was rehabilitated to house offices for SUMMA Health Care Systems in 2007. Additional efforts included restoring the front lobby was to its original configuration, rehabilitating the existing storefronts, and refurbishing the large lanterns at the terrace. Construction cost totalled $10 million. Services provided: preservation & exterior architect, architect of record, preservation consultant for federal & state historic tax credits. The firm’s institutional portfolio includes: University Club Stager- Beckwith Mansion - 1866 | Cleveland, Ohio - Joseph Ireland, Original Architect The mansion was built in 1866 for Anson Stager, general superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company. In 1869, Stager sold the house to T. Sterling Beckwith of Beckwith, Sterling and Company a carpet and interior decorating firm. A group purchased the house in 1913 to begin the University Club of Cleveland that grew and prospered during most of the 20th century. The mansion is one of the last remaining of ‘Millionaire’s Row’. Rehabilitation of the 66,000 sq.ft. Italianate and Second French Empire style mansion included rehabilitating the Mansion, Annex, Carriage House and Sports Center to function as the main campus building for Myers University. The project was completed in 2004 at a total construction cost of $10 million. Services provided: architect, interior designer, preservation consultant for federal tax credit, conservation easement. The firm’s hospitality portfolio includes: The Arcade 1890 | Cleveland, Ohio John M. Eisenmann & George H. Smith, Original Architect - Walker and Weeks, 1939 renovation The Arcade, a National Historic Landmark, consists of a spectacular 300-foot-long, five- story sky-lit arcade with tiers of storefront galleries, housing retail shops and hotel rooms. Despite its remarkable architectural and engineering features, the Arcade suffered three decades of physical deterioration and increasing vacancy. Prospective developers were discouraged by the daunting scale and level of repair work needed, including restoration of historic elements, modernisation of building systems, and finding a viable new use which would be a catalyst to downtown Cleveland. Efforts included the refurbishment of historic lanterns and the reinstatement of the lighting in the twenty-four cast iron gryphon mouths, restoring the lustre, richness and vitality which had gradually faded over the years. The $60 million mixed- use rehabilitation project included nearly 300 hotel suites, opening in April 2001. Services provided: architect of record, public interiors restoration, preservation consultant for federal tax credit and conservation easement. Bedford Springs - 1806 | Bedford Springs, Pennsylvania - Solomon Filler, Original Architect The Bedford Springs Resort includes 11 historic buildings and a noted golf course set on 300 acres in the southern Allegheny Mountains. After lying vacant for decades, the mineral springs resort hotel has been rehabilitated and returned to its original use. Despite being over 200 years old and suffering from extended neglect, the resort’s historic features were carefully restored to preserve its unique character. The $120 million project included over 330,000 sq. ft. of space and was completed in August 2007. Services provided: historic architect; preservation consultant for federal historic tax credits; conservation easements and lost development. The firm’s mixed-use portfolio includes: Tower Press - 1907 | Cleveland, Ohio - Robert D. Kohn, Original Architect Constructed for textile manufacturer H. Black & Company, Tower Press is recognised as the first reinforced concrete structure in Cleveland. The large ornamented water tower exhibits the extended effort of the owner and architect to give the building both a physical and functional beauty. Rehabilitation of Tower Press included the introduction of 3 retail spaces, 80 live-work spaces, and supporting amenities. Sixteen of the first floor live-work spaces house visual artists, with the ability to function as an open gallery. Services provided: architect of record, preservation consultant for federal & state historic tax credits. Bingham Building - 1915 | Cleveland, Ohio - Walker and Weeks, Original Architect The Bingham Building was constructed to house the Bingham Company, one of the pioneer hardware establishments of Cleveland originally founded in 1841. The building is said to have been “the largest single unit for wholesale hardware merchandising in the world”. With over 620,000 sq. ft. of space, the rehabilitation included complete masonry restoration, reinstatement of the north canopy and entry, and sympathetic replacement of missing fenestration and dock doors. A penthouse was introduced at the roof to provide additional units as well as a community room and deck. In addition to the 339 residential units, the $55 million rehabilitation completed in 2004 was designed to house 350 parking spaces and nearly 20,000 sq. ft. of retail space. Services provided: architect of record, preservation consultant for federal tax credit and conservation easement. Conservation easements Conservation easements on historic properties are a valuable tool in preserving the history and significant architecture of our communities. By providing an important economic incentive, historic properties are protected in perpetuity, often including both the building and surrounding landscape. In the past fifteen years, Sandvick Architects has designed and implemented nearly 60 historic conservation easements, generating a total of over $50 million in economic return. Notable projects include: • Mercantile Block | Hamilton, OH | 2007; • The Hat Factory | Cleveland, OH | 2007The Powerhouse | Cleveland, OH | 2010; • Tapp’s Building | Columbia, SC | 2011620-630 Broad Street | Columbus, OH | 2011; • Connelly School | Pittsburgh, PA | 2013; • Long & Front St. Buildings | Columbus, OH | 2015 and; • Keller-Kohn Building | Cleveland, OH | 2015.